Pasta alla Norma
This silky pasta is coated in a rich tomato sauce, complemented by the smoky sweetness of eggplant. The final result is a beautiful dish with vibrant colors and a delightful combination of flavors!
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat, and drizzle the Olitalia extra virgin olive oil to coat the pan. Let it heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the whole cloves of garlic to the pan and sauté them for 3-4 minutes, or until they turn brown. Make sure to keep the cloves whole, as they will be removed later.
- While the garlic is cooking, cube the eggplant and place the cubes in a colander. Sprinkle salt over the eggplant cubes and let them sit for 10 minutes. This helps remove any bitterness. Afterward, pat the eggplant dry with paper towels.
- Remove the browned garlic cloves from the pan, and in the same pan, fry the cubed eggplant until they become golden brown. This may take a few minutes. Once fried, place the eggplant cubes on a tray lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- In a separate bowl, combine the hand-crushed Ciao Italian Whole Peeled Tomatoes with torn basil leaves, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add the seasoned tomatoes to the same sauté pan with the remaining oil and cook them over low-medium heat for about 15 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Around 5 minutes into simmering the tomatoes, start boiling a pot of water. Once it comes to a boil, add the pasta and cook it until al dente, usually for about 5-7 minutes or as per the package instructions.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the tomato sauce in the sauté pan. Add 4 ounces (120 ml) of the pasta water to the sauce as well. Stir the pasta and sauce together for about 1-2 minutes to ensure the pasta is well coated.
- Finally, add the fried eggplant cubes and shaved ricotta salata to the pan, continuing to stir for another 2-3 minutes until the flavors are well-absorbed.
- Serve and enjoy!